Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone have a tongue tie clipped in a toddler?

Default Anyone have a tongue tie clipped in a toddler?

I know there's been discussion on here before about tongue-ties and metopic babies so I thought this would be a good place to ask about getting it clipped. My son has a mild tongue tie and when he was a newborn they didn't think it was necessary to clip it (although breastfeeding didn't go well at all and I think that probably had a lot to do with it). My husband also has a mild tongue tie and he never had any speech issues. My son is 19 months now and delayed in his speech. He also has some eating issues that we're working on. I'm seriously thinking about getting his tongue tie clipped but I'm nervous about it because he's obviously older now and thanks in part to cranio, he HATES doctors and even a simple exam results in hysterics. Anyone had this done in an older baby/child? Is it a quick procedure or more involved once they're older?

i just had my 7 1/2month old tongue clipped. the pedi noticed right away when he was less then a month. He just had this clipping done march 17th. His tongue looks almost totally healed! the first day was the hardest, bleeding ect. However he was all smiles. I would do the clipping if i were you. if your son is 19months old, better to do it now, because he is ready to start pronouncing words and it will help with his practice. they also just put gas on my son and clipped. was like 10mins in the surgery room.

I noticed that Aaden was tongue tied at around 6 months, and then we found out about his cranio, so they clipped it right along with his cranio surgery when he was 10 months old. It obviously was not a big deal compared to his cranio surgery, but it didn't seem to bother him at all-he ate fine afterward.

I think clipping his tongue would probably help with both his speech and eating.

I would like to encourage you to seriously consider it. My nearly-3-year old was slightly tongue tied at birth and we had some nursing issues as well. All this was figured out by lactation consultants, but our pediatrician didn't believe that tongue ties were real, so he wouldn't refer us and said she'd be fine. Now, I'm regretting not having switched peds earlier, and pushed to get it clipped. She has some real issues with being able to move her tongue correctly. It sometimes gets caught up behind her teeth when she's trying to make sounds. I can tell she knows where it's supposed to be, but is struggling to make it go where it should... like with the L sound. By now, I think we'd be hard-pressed to be able to get a referral for clipping, so we're going to have to go the speech therapy route instead.

Just my personal experience from the opposite side. Hope it helps.
    Dawn
    G1 - 05/2008 (no cranio)
    G2 - 05/2010 (metopic/trig) Endoscopic release 08/2010 @ St Louis Children's Hospital w/ Dr Woo & Dr Smyth. Graduated helmet therapy 05/18/2011

G2sMama, I would reconsider still doing the tongue clipping even at 3yrs old. She has many more years ahead of her and it would benefit her in the long run. And as hard as this might be to think about as a mom, even kissing could be hardship. Your little one would be aware, but lots of cold ice cream could help with that. also my husband knew someone who had a kid tongue clipped at 3yrs old, so its not impossible.

My son is tongue tied, and I didn't notice it or even really know about until joining CranioKids. I wish I would have known earlier since breastfeeding didn't go well, and I think it had A LOT to do with it. My son didn't get the clipping and he was an early talker. He's now 27 months and carries conversations with us. : )
    Teresa

Mommy to
    Eduardo 12-07-08 mild metopic

Love being a mommy! SummerEhmann's Avatar

I had Brentley tongue clipped along with his surgery & had no issues. Thanks to Renee (Nay) above as she helped me diagnose him myself. I noticed he could finally move his tongue & became a new toy to him.
    Mommy of
    Daughter: Braylee - 1/7/09 - No Cranio
    Son: Brentley - 6/28/10 - Originally misdiagnosed as Left Coronal Cranio and then diagnosed with Frontosphenoidal Synostosis (one of 6 in the entire world!!) - CVR surgery on 12/21/10 at Children's Hospital in Denver, Co with Dr. Winston & Dr. Ketch

Read more about our story here
    http://craniokids.wordpress.com/

WE'RE ON THE OTHER SIDE!!!!! Now mentor and send loving care packages to families going through it!
    www.CranioCareBears.org

AJ has a lip tie! We will have it clipped later on. So crazy all these similarities!!
    ~~Shelby~~

AJ~Sagittal Craniosynostosis
    ~Surgery 10-6-2009 At Seattle Children's Hospital
    ~Dr. Ojemann and Dr. Gruss~

Cranio Care Bears
    www.craniocarebears.org

My son Connor has a tongue tie, but he does not have Cranio. He does have a metatopic ridge however so I find this interesting. We did not get his clipped and the pediatrician was never concerned. His speech is pretty good, he says some words wrong but it's common errors most toddlers make I think!
    Kate

My babies

Connor: 6/7/08 metatopic ridge, no cranio, helmet therapy for plagio due to torticollis

Gwendolyn: 9/30/09 right coronal and Saethre Chotzen Syndrome, CVR/FOA 7/26/10, ICP detected January 2012, Cranial Vault Distraction surgery 3/8/12, Distractors removed 6/14/12, CSF Leak repair at CHOP.

Quote Originally Posted by AJ's Mommy View Post
    AJ has a lip tie! We will have it clipped later on. So crazy all these similarities!!
    Aaden has this too!!! He's ripped it twice already :( OUCH!