Thread: Craniosynostosis and Autism

Default Craniosynostosis and Autism

When I went to Mercedes's docter appointment Wenesday, He mentioned something about Craniosynostosis and autism be link together. That he has had about a handful of kids that have the surgery and then a couple years down the road are diagnosed with autism. He said that in Japan they are doing a study on it. I was wondering if any body else has heard about this. Mercedes has had all kinds of test done for different syndromes and they all came back normal. Anyone else have any thoughts on this?

Blog Entries

I've read somewhere that metopic cranio was linked with autism...but my n/s and p/s said not to read anything on the internet anymore. So I have no clue...just make sure that she is meeting all her milestones. One of my best friends daughter is autistic...they usually can't diagnose until they are at least 2 (that's what I was told). What my friend told me is that when her daughter was a baby she never made eye contact with her and hardly smiled, giggled or babbled.
    I was worried about this also when Fiona was younger because of the metopic and the constant crying.
    Mom to Noah (no cranio)
    Fiona (Metopic):
    Surgery #1 CVR/FOA 9-26-07 (age 10 months) Sick kids in Toronto with Dr. Phillips (PS) Dr Kulkarni (NS)
    Surgery #2 Cyst removed over left eye 9/08 Dr. Phillips (PS)
    Surgery #3 Cranioplasty 10-18-11 (almost 5 years old) for soft spots filled in with titanium plates/peek implant from bone resorption and scar revision. Dr. Phillips

Thanks for the input I really value everyones opinon!!!!

That is scary to think about, with all the talk of vaccinations being a factor in the increase of Autism over the years. It's hard to know what to believe...is it from the vaccines, or just broader knowledge of the condition causes it to be diagnosed more frequently than before. I haven't heard anything about the Cranio/Autism connection, our doctors never mentioned anything to us, but Kendall has her 6 month appointment on Monday (I can hardly believe it!) And I'll talk with her PED to see if she's seen any data relating to it. There are just way too many things to worry about aren't there!!!

SAGITTAL SYNOSTOSIS DIAGNOSED: JUNE 4, 2007
    CVR @ TCH DENVER: JULY 26, 2007[/FONT]

I think we can worry about everything - especially since our kids have been through so much, but my gut feeling is that we don't need to worry about things until we need to - we just need to live everyday as it comes and just be happy. Plenty of normal kids can become autistic too, so try not to let it worry you. xx
    Mum to Dillan 3 (no cranio) and Logan 10 months (Sagittal Cranio - surgery 6-26-07):bouquet

MY PS said it was a risk of not having the surgery along with ADD, ADHD and developmental delays. I think he stated it was not common though just a risk.