Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: helmet smell

Default helmet smell

Hi, my son does not have crainosynostosis (although that was initially suspected) but does have positional plagiocephaly with torticollis. We are treating it with helmet therapy and boy does the helmet stink! We wash his head and the helmet every evening and I've even taken to rubbing it down with alcohol in between. Do any of you have any recommendations on knocking out the smell in the helmet??

Thanks! - Shelly

Many have tried, few have beaten the bad helmet smell. We learned to live with it for the most part. I used Johnson's bedtime bath wash daily for Sophie's helmet and it was bearable. Good luck!
    Tessa - mom to Sophie and Ben
    Little Miss Sophie - 12/22/08 - Sagittal - Endo surgery 4/16/09 @ St. Louis Childrens
    Baby Boy Ben - 12/14/11 - No Cranio!

My son was treated with a helmet and our instructions were to wash it daily with an antibacterial soap, and weekly with alcohol...it kept it under control for the most part but never completely! He pretty much got a bath every night too. Best of luck to you!
    Kate

My babies

Connor: 6/7/08 metatopic ridge, no cranio, helmet therapy for plagio due to torticollis

Gwendolyn: 9/30/09 right coronal and Saethre Chotzen Syndrome, CVR/FOA 7/26/10, ICP detected January 2012, Cranial Vault Distraction surgery 3/8/12, Distractors removed 6/14/12, CSF Leak repair at CHOP.

We washed it every night with alcohol. We were told to use the 90% alcohol, not the 70%, which is more common.

We also used lavender scented Johnson&Johnson baby shampoo on Clara's hair every night.

This worked pretty well for us.

Good luck!
    Cheryl (mom to Clara, born 11/5/02)
    profound unilateral hearing loss
    Saethre-Chotzen syndrome
    Right coronal cranio-CVR/FOA 9/15/03; cranioplasty 4/5/05
    ear tubes-6/30/04, 5/9/06
    ptosis surgery-7/1/05, 8/13/10
    strabismus surgery-10/11/05, 5/9/06

We did what the other have said. You just get used to it. We also did baby powder(which helped a lil), but we had our during the warmer months.
    Jenni mommy to 3 wonderful kiddos
    Katelynn, Trent, and my cranio kid
    Layne 10/21/08 Saggital(born) and Metopic(developed)
    Pi procedure 02/20/2009,
    Surgery #2 Total CVR Feb 16th, 2011
    uh-oh here we go again....

Yup. Stinky. I figure there's no getting around it... However, we do use shampoo and alcohol swabs on it EVERY night and lightly rinse following both steps.
    Dawn
    G1 - 05/2008 (no cranio)
    G2 - 05/2010 (metopic/trig) Endoscopic release 08/2010 @ St Louis Children's Hospital w/ Dr Woo & Dr Smyth. Graduated helmet therapy 05/18/2011

Default Sunshine

When it was sunny out, I would let the helmet sit in the sun after I used witch hazel to wipe it out, it helped a lot.

Not sure if it will work on helmets (or even if you'll have the time?) but could you try putting it in the deep freeze overnight, to kill the bacteria that cause the odour.

Works (for a time) on my trainers & they smell, badly.

Make sure to wash his hair each day and keep the helmet very clean... we used alcohol each time we took it off and made sure that it dried completely before putting it back on... we also found that a little frebreeze and wipe down with a white paper towel helped A LOT with smell!
    Jackson Lemuel born 4/8/2008
    Diagnosed 7/9/2008 - Sagittal Craniosynostosis
    Endoscopic Limited Vault 8/6/2008
    Dr. Genecov & Dr. Weprin

Click Here For:
    Jackson's Before and Afters

Jackson's Story

Originally from Holland MI, currently living in Brazil

I've never thought of frebreeze, but I want to try it now! Thanks for the suggestion!
    Kelli
    Wife of Mike (right coronal, no surgery)
    Proud mommy of:
    Shannon Emily (cleft palate (Pierre Robin Sequence), no cranio) born 12/5/07
    Lydia Lilianna (bicoronal cranio) born 10/22/09
    Endoscopic strip craniectomy, Dr. Jimenez and Dr. Barone, San Antonio, TX on 1/14/10
    Helmet Therapy 1/20/10 - 4-22-11