Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blood Transfusions and Immunizations

Default Blood Transfusions and Immunizations

I think I remember reading something about certain immunizations that should be delayed if a child receives a blood transfusion. I asked my doctor and he said he didn't know- but whatever immunization(s) it was in question were not scheduled until 1 year old. Well... Ben is quickly approaching one and I want to make sure I am on the ball with this.

Do any of you have any clue what I am talking about?? I really should have made myself a note or something! Help!
    Maggie Szafranski
    Tulsa, OK

mom of:
    Ben- born 11/24/2009 - Sagittal.
    *Surgery w/ Dr. Genecov 3/3/10*
    *Helmet Therapy 3/19/10 until 7/22/10*
    Luke- born 10/11/2007
    Jack- born 6/26/06

www.bensheadblog.blogspot.com

Yes, it is the MMR and maybe the chicken pox one. I know for sure the MMR one. If you go to the CDC website and print off the vaccination hand-outs for each vaccine it will tell you if a blood transfusion is a contraindiction.
    Heather
    Nicholas - born 3/4/09. Sagittal Synostosis. Posterior CVR 9/15/09 with Dr. Fearon and Dr. Sacco - Medical City Dallas.
    http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/NicholasNezich
    http://www.onetruemedia.com/shared?p...3242&skin_id=0

Yes I do! We went through this and here's what I know...
    It only a concern for live vaccines like MMR and chicken pox. If you have a blood transfusion, the blood you have received may have antibodies for the live vaccine already. Therefore your body won't make its own antibodies, rendering the vaccine ineffective. It won't harm you but you'll need to get it again.

The CDC say you need to wait 4-11 months after the transfusion for the MMR shot. How long you need to wait after the transfusion for the vaccine depends on the type of blood product. Because I found this out after Maya had her shot, my Dr went back and called the hospital to find out what kind of blood she got and it turned out she only needed to wait 3 months so she was okay.

So here's what I'd do - find out the type of blood Ben got. Was it plasma or rehydrated - I don't know all the options but these are the things your looking to find out. Find out the shots he'll be getting and have your dr look in some big book they have and check to make sure he's okay for each. Alternatively, if this is too much for your pediatrician you can also call the CDC and they can transfer you to someone who knows the details.

Hope this helps!
    -Beth
    Last edited by Etinker; 11-10-2010 at 02:48 PM.
    Mother of Thea (12/30/05)
    Maya (3/3/09) Left coronal - CVR/FOA 11/2/09 , eye muscle surgeries 2/19/10, 7/16/10

Our immunizations lady on base told me to wait 6 months after Keegan's transfusion before getting his MMR and Chickenpox. Because his surgery happened right around his first birthday, we put off getting the live vaccines then so now he is 18 months and still hasnt had his mmr and chickenpox vaccine.....we have to wait 2 more weeks for thos.

Out of curiosity... how many had their kids get the H1N1 shot last year?

How many got the flu shot for their child this year which includes H1N1 in it?
    TARA
    Mother to Keegan (4/23/2009)
    Sagittal Synostosis
    Surgery : 5/21/2010 at Phoenix Children's Hospital
    Dr. Shafron & Dr. Joganic
    Hallie Mae 8/23/2011
    No cranio =)

Nick had both the H1N1 and the regular flu shots last year and he got the all in one shot this year.
    Heather
    Nicholas - born 3/4/09. Sagittal Synostosis. Posterior CVR 9/15/09 with Dr. Fearon and Dr. Sacco - Medical City Dallas.
    http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/NicholasNezich
    http://www.onetruemedia.com/shared?p...3242&skin_id=0

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by KeegansMom View Post
    Out of curiosity... how many had their kids get the H1N1 shot last year?

How many got the flu shot for their child this year which includes H1N1 in it?
    My whole family got it, we have not gotten the flu vac yet this year.
    Mom to Noah (no cranio)
    Fiona (Metopic):
    Surgery #1 CVR/FOA 9-26-07 (age 10 months) Sick kids in Toronto with Dr. Phillips (PS) Dr Kulkarni (NS)
    Surgery #2 Cyst removed over left eye 9/08 Dr. Phillips (PS)
    Surgery #3 Cranioplasty 10-18-11 (almost 5 years old) for soft spots filled in with titanium plates/peek implant from bone resorption and scar revision. Dr. Phillips

May got her flu shots before the surgery but could not get the H1N1 because it was not ready in time. Her surgery was Nov 2nd 2010 and I was so worried she get H1N1 from somebody in the PICU. We were in a "clean room" but many of the other rooms were filled with swine flu patients and we weren't supposed to leave our room incase we might come in contact with the virus and bring it to Maya. It was soooooo stressful!

Oh the memories....
    Mother of Thea (12/30/05)
    Maya (3/3/09) Left coronal - CVR/FOA 11/2/09 , eye muscle surgeries 2/19/10, 7/16/10

Love being a mommy! SummerEhmann's Avatar

So what if it's the other way around...Brentley is supposed to get his 4-month immunizations tomorrow and then his surgery is 12/21 and will most likely get a blood transfution....is that ok or will the immunizations be for nothing? Just wanted to make sure. thanks
    Mommy of
    Daughter: Braylee - 1/7/09 - No Cranio
    Son: Brentley - 6/28/10 - Originally misdiagnosed as Left Coronal Cranio and then diagnosed with Frontosphenoidal Synostosis (one of 6 in the entire world!!) - CVR surgery on 12/21/10 at Children's Hospital in Denver, Co with Dr. Winston & Dr. Ketch

Read more about our story here
    http://craniokids.wordpress.com/

WE'RE ON THE OTHER SIDE!!!!! Now mentor and send loving care packages to families going through it!
    www.CranioCareBears.org

Cam had his 4 month shots right before his surgery, got a blood transfusion, and then continued to have all his shots right on schedule. I didn't know it was an issue! lol
    Mom to Camden Sagittal Cranio Kid
    Posterior CVR- Fearon/Swift
    Anterior CVR/FOA- Genecov/Weprin

I think it is only the live vaccines and I believe the first time they get a live one is at 12 months for MMR and chickenpox so you should be fine.. but thats just my understanding
    TARA
    Mother to Keegan (4/23/2009)
    Sagittal Synostosis
    Surgery : 5/21/2010 at Phoenix Children's Hospital
    Dr. Shafron & Dr. Joganic
    Hallie Mae 8/23/2011
    No cranio =)