View Full Version : Chicken pox?
11-27-2008, 08:56 AM
Here in the UK we don't immunise against chickenpox but my liaison nurse mentioned that it might be a good idea not to "prevent" my little ones getting it (I guess she couldn't tell me to actively try to catch it iykwim).
She said that if either boy had had exposure to CP Edward's op would be postponed for around 6 weeks to make sure they were clear.
With this in mind I'm thinking I should have them immunised or try to catch it but I'm dithering on the morals of it...any opinions more than welcome!!
11-27-2008, 09:02 AM
Unless you are exposed to it, I woudn't worry too much. Fiona did get the vacine but it was after the surgery when she turned 1.
Are they in daycare?
11-27-2008, 09:56 AM
it might be easier said than done - i mean do you even know anyone with chicken pox that they could catch them from. its a hard call - i got them last year at the age of 28 lol i got them from my brother aged 24 and my dd millie got them me age 3 - she coped quite well with them but if you think the chances are slim of the boys not purposly catching them before surgery i think i would leave it.
11-27-2008, 10:45 AM
I'm all for complete lock down prior to surgery. Is he in a daycare situation that he could be exposed to it? My kids have all had the chickenpox shot so we've not had to worry about it. Could the kids get a shot at the Dr.? I'm inclined to lean toward that if Edward is old enough to get one. It's just scary to take chances with a surgery date, IYKWIM...
11-28-2008, 02:59 AM
Hi there, we have the same situation here in new zealand as we dont routinely immunise against chix pox I couldnt beleive our misfortune when my son caught them 1 week before lily had her surgery. Lily had one spot on her tummy and was definately exposed, but the surgeon gave the go ahead at the last minute and just put her in an isolated room. to be honest though, it was all touch and go and incredibly stressful for us, and if given the choice, I would have immunised just to have one less thing to stress about. anna
11-30-2008, 04:21 PM
Charlie is in childcare and all the kids except Charlie came down with Chicken Pox 2 weeks before his surgery but Oxford didnt postpone. Try not to worry to much, there's not many reasons they will cancel the op for x
11-30-2008, 08:59 PM
I would definitely ask about immunizing him...I don't know that I would go to the extent of purposefully exposing him, but then again I was a "total isolation" kind of mommy...NO contact with the "outside world" for the last 2 weeks before surgery...
12-01-2008, 12:31 AM
My sister is a nurse at a Children's Hospital and she recommends strongly against deliberate exposure. For some reason we were actually talking about this the other day, I can't remember why. Anyhow, while most of us remember it as a rite of passage, there are children that die from it and to deliberately seek it out can be dangerous. I would definitely ask about the vaccine, but otherwise, just do what you can to keep your kiddos healthy.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.1.4 Copyright © 2013 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.