View Full Version : Another CT
11-06-2008, 03:44 PM
Our daughter is mild metopic with only a ridge. She had a CT scan at 6months old at Stanford. She is now a year old and we now have Kaiser. So we are going to Oakland childrens hospital, and they are asking for another CT scan so they can compare it to the one she had at 6 months.
So, this doesnt sit right with me. I dont want her to have another CT scan.
Is this common?
Do I need to worry about another suture closing and missing it because we did not do another CT scan?
Again, as parents what do you feel?
11-06-2008, 03:51 PM
Hi and welcome. It's good that you're questioning things. We are our little one's best advocates. Hopefully some of the mild metopic moms will chime in with advice for you.
Have there been any changes in her head shape that worry you? Or do you have any developmental or behavioral concerns? I'm sure there are cases where multiple CT's for mild metopic are worth it but if it doesn't sit well with you you should trust your instincts. I think you are right to be wary. Get them to clarify exactly what they are looking for in a repeat CT and why they think it is necessary. Then you can weigh the risk or more radiation exposure vs. the possible benefit of the info it would give you.
11-06-2008, 04:32 PM
My son also has a metopic ridge and no surgery is recommended. We have NEVER been told to get a CT scan. We were actually advised against it despite me questioning if it was necessary. The surgeons that we've seen (and one bwas a mild metopic specialist) do not believe that CT scans are necessary when its just a ridge. Some will do them prior to surgery to get sort of a road map to help with the surgery, but it is not often used as a diagnostic tool. Cranio specialists will usually rely on the clinical exam to make the diagnosis.
If, however, there are other concerns such as developmental delays or signs of increased pressure, a CT scan may be warranted to determine whether the fused suture is causing these problems. If your daughter isn't having any issues, I wouldn't think its necessary. What was the reason they wanted to do it? As far as other sutures closing early, changes head shape would be a tell tale sign of something going on. Has her head shape changed significantly since she was 6 months?
11-06-2008, 07:36 PM
She doesnt seem to have any delays. Her head shape is good in my opinion. I have been watching it closely as you would expect. She does have an appointment with the optomologist (sp?) soon just to do a basic ICP test. She doesnt have any symptoms of ICP, but I just wanted to check in any case. The only issue she has had is sleep issues, which is the main reason for the optomologist. The doctor at Oakland childrens hospital is asking for the CT to just compare the old one and the new one. The have not actually seen her old CT, or actually her in person.
11-06-2008, 08:11 PM
keep in mind that different drs have different ways of doing things. They may want a second ct to compare. Sometimes things can get worse, and that may be how your particular dr judges if anything has changed.
Of course, question anything that doesnt sit right with you. You know best for your child. Find out why tey want another CT. Some dr's can see by pictures progression. Other drs may want a CT to check for ICP. It may just be thier preference.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.1.4 Copyright © 2013 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.