Iâ€™ve meant to update since last Saturday, but things have been very busy since Dillonâ€™s surgery. I have so much to say so this will be long.
The anesthesia team came for Dillon at 8AM Tuesday morning (the 16th). There were five of them and handing him over was the hardest thing we have had to do. They told us that someone would contact us every two hours to let us know how he was doing. At 10AM Dillonâ€™s neurosurgeon (Dr. Karol Zakalic) came out. Unfortunately, the surgery hadnâ€™t even started yet. When they put the IV in his leg, one of the arteries went in to spasms. This cut off circulation to that leg and it turned blue all the way down. They came close to postponing the surgery because of it. Fortunately the neurosurgeon said that it appeared to be clearing up and they were going to be able to start soon. Dillon did not feel any of this, he was already under. An hour later we got a call from the OR saying they were just making the first incision, it took a little longer for it to clear up than they thought.
The fire alarm in the hospital started going off, which was scary! How do you handle an alarm like that when your son is under the knife? The man behind the desk in the waiting room said not to worry about it, it was a false alarm. We decided to go outside and make a couple of phone calls, only to find out we could not come back in until the alarm was over! We got back in to the waiting area just in time for another update. They had started putting everything back together and were focusing on the reconstruction.
A little before 3PM, Dr. Zakalic came out and said his part was done and they were now closing him up. Right around 3PM his craniofacial surgeon, Dr. Ian T. Jackson, came out and told us that Dillon was on his way to recovery and that he did great!
It was a few hours before we could see him because they took him to have an ultra sound on his leg. The blood flow was pretty good, but there was one vessel they were concerned about.
Doug and I both broke down in tears when we saw him in recovery. He was still under sedation (he was sedated until the vent came out on Wed.) and had respirator breathing for him, an IV, all sorts of monitors, and two drains coming out of the back of his head. He looked so tiny and helpless lost in all those machines.
They kept an eye on his leg and by Thursday he was declared â€œout of the woodsâ€ and circulation was great.
The bandages and drains came out Friday and he was discharged Friday morning. He was readmitted Friday night because he would not eat and was throwing up, but did much better on Saturday. By Sunday some of the swelling had gone down and he was able to open his eyes some.
He has been such a trooper through all this. Laughing, smiling, and babbling like nothing happened. He really is our little miracle baby.
There is a possibility he will need a second surgery, but we wonâ€™t know for sure until all the swelling goes down and the Drâ€™s can see how his head is forming. He has a CT scan Wed. and will get the staples (about 50 of them) out at the same time.
I want to thank everyone again for all the support you have shown during this time! It truly means more than you could know to us (((hug)))